If you are replacing your current gutters, now is a good time to consider choosing a different type or style for your property. When it comes to gutter installation, there are many options available on the market. In fact, it might be difficult to decide which products are the ideal choice for your San Francisco home. To ease your decision, Mr. Roofing has put together this brief guide on the different types of gutters and how to choose.
Considerations When Shopping for Gutters
There are four considerations to keep in mind when it is time for gutter replacement. These include:
- Budget: The amount of money you are wiling to spend affects the type and style of gutters you pick. For instance, metal is more expensive that vinyl gutters.
- Longevity: If you really don’t want to replace your gutters again for a long time you might prefer a material that low-maintenance and durable, like stainless steel.
- Roofing System: Homeowners may also want to choose gutters that complement their home’s roofing system, like wood gutters with cedar shakes and shingles.
- Climate: Finally, the local climate may be harsher on certain types of materials than others. Extreme sun can make vinyl gutters more brittle and prone to breakage.
Paying close attention to each of these factors when looking at different products will help you decide on the right type of gutters.
Different Gutter Materials
While gutters are available in different shapes, the most important characteristic of your replacement gutters is the material used in their construction. Each product offers different benefits for homeowners:
- Wood: The original gutters were made of wood and a few homes still use this plentiful material for a rustic effect. Wood gutters also pair well with other wood and slate roofing systems.
- Metal: By far, there are more options in metal gutters than any other material. You can pick out low-maintenance zinc, decorative copper, affordable aluminum, or strong and durable steel products.
- Vinyl: Many homes have vinyl gutters these days. It is a widely available and affordable product that is even found in hardware stores for DIYers.
When you need new installation or gutter repairs in San Francisco, give Mr. Roofing a call. We’ll set up a complimentary consultation to discuss the options for your gutters right away. Homeowners can also fill out our online form to ask for a free quote on related services, such as installing gutter guards or skylights.